I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 11 June 2012

Book Review... Starting Over - Sue Moorcroft


Starting Over - Sue Moorcroft
Choc Lit, 2009
ISBN: 9781906931223













My rating




From the back cover:

"New home, new friends, new love. Can starting over be that simple? Tess Riddell reckons her beloved Freelander is more reliable than any man - especially her ex-fiancé, Olly Gray. She's moving on from her old life and into the perfect cottage in the country.
Miles Rattenbury's passions? Old cars and new women! Romance? He's into fun rather than commitment. When Tess crashes the Freelander into his breakdown truck, they find that they're nearly neighbours - yet worlds apart. Despite her overprotective parents and a suddenly attentive Olly, she discovers the joys of village life and even forms an unlikely friendship with Miles. Then, just as their relationship develops into something deeper, an old flame comes looking for him... 
Is their love strong enough to overcome the past? Or will it take more than either of them is prepared to give?"


This was one of those books that came up as one of the 'you might also like...' recommendations after I bought something on Amazon. I have been hearing lots of good things about Choc Lit publishing but haven't read any of their books so far, so I thought I would give this one a go.

I was a little unsure of the book at first, it took me a while to get used to the author's style - there are lots of fragmented sentences that, at times, felt a little jarring. However once I was used to it, this ended up being a brilliant read.

The story is so full of emotional ups and downs and very relatable. The heroine grows as the story progresses, although she is a nicely flawed character and makes some very well written and honest mistakes.

The hero is a little difficult, but that is what makes him really charming. I fell hook, line, and sinker for him!

This is so much more than boy meets girl and then they live happily every after... The story explores problems after that initial HEA, as well as past mistakes coming back to haunt you, and how quickly you can fall out of love as you do fall in love. The author takes you on an emotional rollercoaster, and a tells a wonderful love-story.

Lovely!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment